top of page

Microsoft report says UK is not prepared for the age of AI


Technology has been evolving faster than ever, and currently taking centre stage in the tech world is artificial intelligence (AI). However, a recent report from Microsoft has revealed some concerning news; the UK is not prepared for AI which will leave businesses of all sizes wide open to cyber threats. 

 

What the data tells us 

The report reveals a very concerning reality: only a mere 13% of UK businesses are actually resilient to cybercrime, leaving a whopping 87% vulnerable to potential attacks. AI is only making it easier for cyber criminals to take advantage of individuals and businesses, which is why it’s more important than ever that everyone ensures they have cyber security measures in place which they test and update regularly. 

 

Investments in AI-driven cybersecurity solutions offer a glimmer of hope, with the potential to inject £52 billion back into the UK economy. However, for this to be successful, businesses must be open to educating themselves and using AI against cybercrime. 

 

What is the UK Government planning to do about AI? 

The UK government is aiming to make the country a global AI superpower within the next decade, however achieving this ambition requires a concerted effort to strengthen cybersecurity defences.  

 

Although the UK currently leads the world in cybersecurity, there's still plenty of ground to cover to protect businesses and fully unlock the economic potential of AI, particularly with so many new developments being made in this field. 

  

What opportunities are there for progress? 

With a shocking 48% of businesses categorised as 'vulnerable' and an additional 39% classified as 'at high risk', it’s pretty clear that some urgent action needs to be taken. Hackers, armed with AI-driven tools, pose an increasingly bigger challenge, making a proactive approach to cybersecurity absolutely essential. 

 

So, what can be done? Well, the report outlines five key opportunities for the UK to become both an AI and cybersecurity superpower: 

 

  • Support for AI adoption in the cybersecurity industry. 

  • Investment in AI solutions with a focus on deployable options. 

  • Upskilling efforts through public-private partnerships. 

  • Research collaboration to encourage and create space for innovation. 

  • Guidance on AI adoption to ensure safe practices across industries. 

 

How can you dip your toe into AI as a business? 

To safely use AI in business, you need to start with ethical principles, ensuring transparency and accountability. Protect sensitive data with solid security measures and address biases through regular audits. You should also train employees to understand AI systems, be aware of common AI related cyber scams, and establish clear protocols for handling AI-generated content or insights. By making safety and responsibility the main focus, businesses can maximise the benefits of AI while reducing risks.  

 

Final thoughts 

The Microsoft report serves as a wake-up call, urging businesses and policymakers to really put cybersecurity resilience in the age of AI as their main priority. Embracing AI-driven solutions and cultivating a culture of innovation and collaboration not only benefits individuals and businesses, but it also boosts the UK economy as a whole. 

 

 

Need some extra help with your organisation’s cyber security? Contact us today to find out how we can help. 

Comments


The contents of this website are provided for general information only and are not intended to replace specific professional advice relevant to your situation. The intention of The Cyber Resilience Centre for the West Midlands is to encourage cyber resilience by raising issues and disseminating information on the experiences and initiatives of others.  Articles on the website cannot by their nature be comprehensive and may not reflect most recent legislation, practice, or application to your circumstances. The Cyber Resilience Centre for the West Midlands provides affordable services and Trusted Partners if you need specific support. For specific questions please contact us.

 

The Cyber Resilience Centre for the West Midlands does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on information or materials published on this document. The Cyber Resilience Centre for the West Midlands is not responsible for the content of external internet sites that link to this site or which are linked from it.

bottom of page